INTERCHANGE | In a Nutshell
An adventure for your whole family.
Interchange is a two-way family exchange program for 14–15 year olds over a period of 14 to 28 days. Interchange represents a unique opportunity within CISV. While based on the educational principles shared in our camp-based programs, Interchange encourages a deeper encounter between two cultures by placing young people within families. Group activities during the exchange, such as a mini-camp with delegates from other countries are a vital complement to the in-depth family experience.
INTERCHANGE | A Day in the Life
Interchange takes place in two ‘phases’ – your child joins a delegation of 6-12 participants and one or two leaders that goes abroad, each hosted by a CISV family with a child of the same age. While away, your child experiences life with a family in another country while still having an opportunity to interact with the entire delegation through their time away. They will share their own cultural experiences and perspectives as a representative of the U.S., learn about a different culture, gain confidence, maturity and, most importantly, have fun!
In return, you and your family will host the child from the delegation your child visited. Interchange exchanges impact the entire family and offer families the chance to experience another culture, make new friends and be part of your local CISV community.
Program Transition Notes
Starting in 2022, Interchange
- is now a program for 14–15-year-old participants only.
- can only be hosted by National Associations who hosted an Interchange sometime between 2017-2019. CISV USA always hosts Interchanges.
- is being phased out over a 5-year period due to a program restructuring by CISV International.
- The last Interchange will be in 2024.
- 2023 Interchange with BrazilRio de Janeiro, BrazilInvitation Date
Jul 05, 2023 - Jul 29, 2023Eligible Birthdates
Jan 01, 2008 - Dec 31, 2009